Monday, January 31, 2005

DMV

Last Wednesday Katlin, Kathy and I went to the DMV to get new driver’s licenses. Since we moved we needed to get new licenses that show our new address. Now here’s an interesting place: the DMV. It’s up there with visiting the Bus Station and the Dollar Store after dark. The DMV is one of these places, that at some point in time everyone has to go there – and eventually everyone does. This place was packed out with all different kinds of people (present company included). As I sat and looked at my old driver’s license, I realized that I hadn’t been to the DMV in 13 years. That’s how old my license was! They just keep sending me renewal stickers in the mail and I just kept slapping them on the back of my old license. I forgot what an experience this place can be.

There were some very interesting people to say the least. Since I love to sit and watch people this place was perfect (Airports are great too). What struck me about this place is that every person was there because they had a problem. I was sitting near the counter where everyone checked in at so I could hear all the conversations. First there was the guy who pleaded his case with the receptionist on how he lost his license due to too many tickets. She smiled, told him to take a seat and explained that he would have his opportunity to explain his situation. Then there was the guy who lost his license years ago in another state because of DUI’s. He hadn’t been driving for many years and now needed a license for his new job. He was frustrated by the dead ends he kept running in to and turned to his friend and said “They gotta know I’m not that person anymore, I don’t do that stuff anymore.” His friend patted him on the arm and reassured him by saying “Don’t worry, we’ll work through this”. Or there was the young Muslim lady who sat next to me talking on her cell phone to her insurance company. She was trying to find out how she could get her vehicle registration out of her estranged husbands name. The person on the other end of the phone must have said that she would need to contact him. The young lady became upset and said “That simply won’t be possible. The judge ordered that there be no contact between us due to domestic violence.” But what I enjoyed the most was watching the three little girls play. Stair stepped in ages from 1 to 3, they were poorly dressed, wore no shoes and the bottom of their white socks were black as coal. One had a hole in the end of her sock and her little toe was poking out. But they didn’t care they played and had a big time. Completely oblivious to their circumstances and environment they smiled, laughed and enjoyed each other to no end. The long wait to conduct our business went by quickly watching these three little girls have fun.

In between all of the activity we talked. We started talking about kids and responsibility. My wife is very passionate about this subject. So much so that when she started voicing her opinion, the pitch and volume of her voice started to rise. I looked around and noticed people were staring and that we had become the “interesting” people that you watch at the DMV. Once she realized what she was doing she stopped and I settled uncomfortably in my seat. After awhile we somehow got on the subject of candy machines. While were doing so I made a hand gesture as if I was getting something from a vending machine. But it wasn’t like I was getting something from one of the fancy new button type of candy machines. It was one of the really old types that were around when I was growing up. It was the kind that had the bar that you pulled towards you. (If you’re over forty I’m sure you remember them). After I made the hand movement Katlin imitated my motion and said “What was that all about?” I must have looked confused because he continued by saying “That thing with your hands and the candy machine, what was that all about?” Realizing that he had never seen one, I explained to him that candy machines haven’t always been push button. He sat there with a yeah-right look on his face and his mother chimed in and said “He’s serious Katlin, they haven’t always been electronic.” He then realized that we were serious and he was only able to manage a subdued “Wow”. After I finished looking at my son, I noticed that we had once again become the center of attention and all eyes were on us. I then realized that we were the freaks. The ones everyone watchea and warns their friends about. “I saw the weirdest family at the DMV today, they freaked me out.” If you hear anyone say this after a trip to the DMV then you know we were there.

Besides the long wait (well over an hour) I really didn’t mind going to the DMV. In a really weird way, it was kind of enjoyable. I don’t care to go back anytime soon but it was entertaining. What was interesting is what I thought about on the drive back to work. Here’s a place where everyone has to go, no one is exempt, that is if they want to drive. It’s a place for all types of people, color, income, social status, weirdo's, freaks, business types – none of it mattered and all are welcome. As I was driving I was thinking wouldn't it be great if our churches were as open and accepting as the DMV? Don't worry what you've done or how strange you appear to others, just come and bring your problem. Come on in and have a seat...Jesus will be with you in a moment. Church of the DMV? I doubt it would catch on...

8 Comments:

At Mon Jan 31, 10:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting, I never quite know where you are going
when you start to tell a story, but I do enjoy the stories. Did Kiel not need a new license? Probably just didn't want to be seen with you. Oh well, hope everyones fine down there and enjoying life. Auntie Gail

 
At Tue Feb 01, 07:55:00 AM, Blogger rob said...

We could even issue licenses...something that would prove you were part of the DMV church (besides a freakish nature)! We could even have eye tests...but when people look into the machine, there will be nothing on the screen...but we'll tell them to just keep looking....and unbeknownst to them, we will have put black ink on the eyepieces, so that when they lift thier heads up, they'll have black rings around their eyes...and THAT'S when we'll snap the photo for their ID! And we could have all the pastors wait behind counters with little windows...and people would have to wait in long lines to get to a window, and the pastor could actually just chat with friends on the phone or do crossword puzzles while everyone waits. And as soon as they get up to the window...he could put a closed sign up, and tell people to find another line!
Man...we could have so much fun!! I'm glad we brought you onto the leadership team Ron, you've got some great ideas there! Keep 'em coming!

Hey wait a minute....you have to get a new license when you you move? Crap! I knew I was forgeting something!

 
At Tue Feb 01, 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Gail – Hey! haven’t talked to you in awhile. Don’t feel bad I never know where I’m going when I’m writing either. I just kind of start and end up...somewhere. Kiel didn’t go to the DMV because of school/work. Besides if he did that means I would have had to buy him lunch. It will be interesting to see Kiel doe get his address changed - my guess is he doesn't. We did it primarly to take advantage of the Florida Homestead Tax Exemption. In order to do this your drivers license needs to show your current address. I’ve also been meeting to tell you that we are going to pass on doing a cruise this year. The reason comes down to vacation time. We are coming home again this summer from June 29 to July 10. Plus with Kiel moving down south later this year we’ll use our remaining time helping him move or visiting him. We’d like to do one next year but we’ll have to see. Hope you have fun and think of us when you plan your next one. Take Care

 
At Tue Feb 01, 12:10:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Rob – After reading your response maybe in reality the Church of the DMV isn’t such a good idea after all - LOL. But it would make for a cool script for one of the movies you show before the lesson! Only thing is I would add a scence at the end when you have to step up to the counter and pay for your DMV Church license. I would have some one take out their wallet and ask how much do I owe. Then the person behind the counter would say that it’s been paid for. Then the person would look around and ask “Who paid for it?” The counter person would smile and simply say “He did” and point to a picture of Jesus on the Cross. How cool would that be?

 
At Tue Feb 01, 03:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Robbie...I don't have a blog, so I'm signing in anonymously, ok? (He finally gave me your blogspot address.)

Part of the "blessing" of having four teenagers in the house is the experience of visiting the DMV. First it's the permits, then the Driver's Licenses, then the new cars. I practically know everyone there on a first name basis.

At the Beach DMV you have to take a number, usually I get like #92, and they are on #57 or something insane like that. As I sit there waiting, I keep looking for dropped numbers on the floor, then I start to scan other people...I imagine myself asking them how much their #61 would be worth to them? And how much would I be willing to pay for that number? Then I settle back in my seat and wait, and wait, and wait.

Rob has said to me a few times "Do I really have to get a new license? Do you have one?" And I always tell him yes, and yes, and no, I can't get it for you. Bradley said that you can change your address online, but I doubt it, and sort of hope you can't, after all, everyone should have to go to the DMV once in awhile, it's a spiritual experience.

 
At Tue Feb 01, 05:48:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Robbie - So cool you stopped by the blog. Kathy usually handles the DMV duties with the boys, I was way out of touch with what goes on there. I like your idea about offering to buy the tickets. Perhaps we should start scapling DMV tickets? Could be cottage industry there. We found out that the DMV (at least the one in Callaway) now accepts appointments. That was part of our problem and made our wait so long. We were the next number to be called for about a half an hour but all of the scheduled appointments kept coming in and getting in front of us. Really started to get to me - I wanted to be the person to make someone else wait. So the next time I go to the DMV which will probably be in another 13 years, I will have an appointment

 
At Tue Feb 01, 11:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron, that's okay about the cruise, actually we just signed up with some friends, (Yes, we do have some friends) to go on an Alaska cruise, from July 22 through
Aug. 4th. It's a 7 day cruise and 7 day land trip. Don't say anything to grandma if you talk to her, because she has always wanted to go, I will probably tell her in June. Will be great to see you this summer. That is if you want to see us!!!! Can't wait. Love you, Auntie Gail

 
At Wed Feb 02, 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Gail - Hey that's so cool that you guys are going on an Alaskan Cruise! Someday we would love to go there, perhaps for our 25th wedding anniversay in a few years. Don't worry I won't tell Grandma - your secrets safe with me. I'd tell her in August, after you get back. We're looking forward to coming home in the summer. We're flying this time so we'll have more time at home. We look forward to seeing you guys when we come home...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home