Tuesday, May 23, 2006

17

As we sat waiting at the resturant, I couldn't help but stare at him. As I looked at his young face, I couldn't help but find myself thinking about him, his future....his life. We talked about the past year - we talked about the summer, what he planned to do and where he planned to go. We talked about his upcoming senior year of high school and all he had to look forward to. Mainly he talked and I nodded and smiled. I smiled not at what he had to say but because I was proud. Not proud in arrogant way. Not nessecarily proud of what he has accomplished or plans to do, I am proud of those things but that's not why I was smiled. But proud of who he's becoming - a young man. His own person - with his own sense of right and wrong.

My mind wandered back to that morning 17 years earlier. I thought about his birth and being the one to cut his cord. And here I am now, on the cusp of doing it again. Getting ready to cut him loose and let him go. But he's no longer an infant who can't care for himself. He's growing up and is learning to take care of himself. 17 years - where did they go? Soccer practices, trips to the golf course, toting his drums around town, watching him fret over his grades and studies. Would we trade any of it? Not for a second - these and many other things helped shaped who his is, who he's becoming.

It doesn't get any easier watching them grow up and take off. I was hoping it would but I'm finding it doesn't. 17 years...simply amazing.

Happy Birthday Kat-Kat....we love you...and are very proud of you...mom and dad

4 Comments:

At Tue May 23, 10:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't trade my bro for anything in thw world... were gonna take over Orlando... me and you bro!

 
At Thu May 25, 11:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT DAY ON YOUR BIRTHDAY KAT. WAS GOING TO CALL YOU BUT WE HAD TO GO TO NAPLES & I DIDN'T REMEMBER THAT EVE UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE. HAVE YOU DECIDED TO GO TO ORLANDO TO KEEP YOUR BIG BRO STRAIGHT. IT PROBABLY ISN'T A BAD IDEA. GOOD LUCK IN ALL YOUR FUTURE ENDEAVORS!! AND MAY YOU HAVE MANY MORE HAPPY BIRTHDAY'S!!! LOVE YA, GRANDPA J & JEAN

 
At Fri Feb 16, 12:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »

 
At Mon Mar 05, 05:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... 1998 grand cheorkee leather seat covers oem Refinance home loan no closing costs Teenage girls chubby bellies best credit card bad credit Counseling credit debt wave http://www.reward-credit-cards-0.info/Ibns_bankcard.html Darvocetn-100 and effexor xr drug interactions Laser+eye+surgery+california

 

Post a Comment

<< Home