Friday, April 29, 2005

God's Politics

"While the Right in America has hijacked the language of faith to prop up its political agenda - an agenda not all people support - the Left hasn't done much better, largely ignoring faith and continually separating moral discourse and personal ethics from public policy. While the Right argues that God's way is their way, the Left pursues an unrealistic separation of religious values from morally grounded leadership. The consequence is a false choice between ideological religion and soulless politics."
Quote from 'God's Politics' by Jim Wallis

They (whoever 'they' are) say you should never discuss religion or politics (and probably cat hunting) at a dinner party. Fortunately for me this isn't a dinner party. Regardless of that, I still feel that I'm probably in over my head on this one because I'm actually going to discuss both religion and politics at the same time. I'm pretty sure that this post has the potential to piss off and alienate me from both Republican and Democrats alike. Please know that when I write a post my goal is not to convince. I'm not here to persuade anyone to agree with me. In particular when I talk about matters of faith, I'm not trying to convert anyone - I'm just trying to express what my faith means to me. It's not my intent to be pushy or beat people over the heads with a Bible. Honestly, I don't feel that I do that and would hate to think that I did. But conversely I'm not shy or ashamed of how I feel about my beliefs particularly when it comes to my faith. I'm now finding that beliefs on faith and politics have intersected and have become one in many instances. Even though I didn't want them to, they crossed paths and are forcing me to examine both my beliefs on faith and politics. Let me explain.

I bought what appears to be an interesting book over the weekend; it's called God's Politics (Why the Right gets it wrong and the Left doesn't get it) by Jim Wallis. Actually Katlin found it while we were in Target and suggested I buy it. How weird is that? He obviously sees something in me that needs fixing and thinks that this book can do it. Anyway this book hits on a subject that I have really been struggling with recently. My particular problem is that I'm having a real difficult time understanding how the Republican Party has come to claim that they speak for God. Before I get in too deep and my Republican friends think I'm a traitor, let me make a couple of things clear. I'm a Republican; I have been for quite awhile and probably will be for the rest of my life. I wouldn't say I'm 'disillusioned' with the Republican party and would consider switching to the Democratic party, because I'm not and I wouldn't. Overall I feel that the Republican Party represents my political views far greater than the Democratic Party ever could. But frankly I am concerned how the Republican Party has misrepresented Christianity and matters of faith as I see them. I'm also very concerned with the misconception that in order to be a Christian you have to be a Republican (and vice versa). In particular, it seems to me that this mindset has become 'unspoken doctrine' in many of today's churches. Because of this, it appears that many people now think that Christianity stands for something other than what it was intended to be. I don't needn't look any further than this past Sunday and the theatrics called 'Justice Sunday' to be reminded of this. This is the problem I have with both today’s church and American politics. They misrepresent the God that I see and read about in the Bible, which really angers me to no end. Hopefully I made myself clear about how I feel and didn't lose too many friends in the process. I know that I should probably stick to writing about my mis-adventures as a husband or parent but obviously I'm not smart enough to do so. Now that everyone is sufficiently offended to some degree we can all take a deep breathe and relax.

Getting back to the book, I guess this book has been out for awhile and was on the New York Times Best Seller List for awhile. I haven't had a chance to really 'get into' this book yet, I haven't had the time. I've only read a few pages. However, the parts that I have read, like the quote above have really struck a chord with me. Let me say, that I'm glad to know that I'm not alone on this issue. I take great comfort knowing that others see their faith as being misrepresented. What I do like about the book so far is that it does appear that he is gives it to both the Right and Left with both barrels. He gives it to the Right for thinking they are God's elect and he gives to the Left for not including God and faith in political discourse. For those of you who don't know Jim Wallis(bio) is a Liberal. He is also the editor of a leftist religious magazine called Sojourners. I'm sure that some of you will question that if I'm a conservative how I could read a book by a liberal. To me it's ultimately not about being a liberal or conservative, or being on the Left or on the Right or being called a Republican or a Democrat. Ultimately it's about being person of God and living according to His will. And please don't think I mean that in some sanctimonious or holier-than-thou sort of way because I don’t. If a book, regardless of who it was written by can promote positive discussion of faith/politics and help me examine my belief system - then I'll read it. I guess if that bothers some folks that his political party is different than mine, then they can sue me. And don't think is an endorsement of Wallis' book cause it's not that either. There is no doubt in mind that I will disagree with many things that he says. So don't worry, I'm not being brainwashed or being taken over by the dark side. I'm not 'going liberal' on you. Regardless, I'm sure Bill O'Rielly would be disappointed if he knew I was reading this (lol). But on the surface it appears that Wallis raises some good questions and makes some valid points. I guess we'll see as I work my way through this read, I may feel differently after I finish reading it. But passages like the ones below, lead me to believe that he might be on to something that needs to be discussed. Again, you may or may not agree with what Wallis is saying - I'm not sure I do completely. But at the very least what he says is interesting and to some degree challenging. And because of that it causes me to re-think, not question, but re-think what I believe and why.

"Of course, God is not partisan. God is not a Republican or a Democrat. When either party tries to politicize God or co-opt religious communities to further political agendas, it makes a terrible mistake. The best contribution of religion is precisely not to be ideologically predictable nor loyally partisan. Both parties, and the nation, must let the prophetic voice of religion be heard. Faith must be free to challenge both the Right and the Left from a consistent moral ground.

"God’s politics" are therefore never partisan nor ideological. But God’s politics challenge everything about our politics. God’s politics remind us of the people our politics always neglect - the poor, the vulnerable, the left behind. God’s politics challenge narrow national, ethnic, economic, or cultural self-interest, reminding us of a much wider world and the creative human diversity of all those made in the image of the creator. God’s politics remind us of the creation itself, a rich environment in which we are to be good stewards, not mere users, consumers, and exploiters. And God’s politics plead with us to resolve, as much as possible, the inevitable conflicts among us without the terrible destruction of war. God’s politics always remind us of the ancient prophetic prescription to "choose life, so that you and your children may live," and challenge all the selective moralities that would choose one set of lives and issues over another. This challenges both the Right and the Left, offering a new vision for faith and politics in America and a new conversation of personal faith and political hope."

3 Comments:

At Sun May 01, 03:43:00 PM, Blogger rob said...

I'm SOOOOO with you man. It's amazing to me how much we have integrated Christianity with our political system, and especially the Republican party. I too am registered Republican...but my primary citizinship is registered somewhere better.

 
At Fri May 06, 02:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading the same book with gusto. Unlike you, though, I'm a pretty liberal Democrat and a church-going Christian myself, trying hard to bring my religion and politics into sync, and disappointed that we Democrats don't bring up moral values enough. It's refreshing to read his premise that fighting against poverty and bigotry and advocating for peace are religious issues as much as opposing abortion and gay marriage. I really hope that more people read his book...God knows that this nation really needs a bridge between red and blue.

 
At Fri May 06, 12:15:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Keith,

Thanks for stopping by the blog. I appreicated hearing what you have to say. I couldn't agree with you more that a bridge does need to be built between the red and blue. Hopefully, books like Wallis's will lead to dialouge that will begin that process. Take Care...Ron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home