Friday, September 24, 2004

What Bothers You?

I am bound and determined to make a post that has nothing to do with hurricanes. So here it goes. I find getting older interesting, particularly when it comes to what bothers me. It seems that some things that never bothered me really bother me now. For example, arrogant people get on my last nerve. I simply don’t have time for them. Once I get a whiff of their “all that and a bag of chips” attitude I check out mentality. Start talking about how great you are or how important you are and you can color me gone. I’ve found that people who act arrogant are actually very insecure about themselves. I realize that this is not the right attitude to have but I’m being very honest here.

I also don’t have any patience when it comes to ‘spin’. You know ‘spin’, the art of trying to make things seem better then what they really are. It’s when I know something to be one way but someone tells me not to believe my lying eyes and believe them. This really jerks my chain. Politicians, Hollywood, Public Relations firms, Madison Avenue, Lawyers and yes organized religion are notorious for churning out spin. The idea that I can’t make up my own mind based upon the facts is insulting. I don’t need anyone to decipher the truth for me, that’s why I’m married (kidding). Just be honest and give it to me straight. Don’t blow smoke up my butt and tell me it’s a cool breeze.

While I’m on roll, know what else ticks me off? Mean People. What is so hard about being nice once in awhile? I know at some point in time everyone has a bad day or gets pissed off but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about a day in and day out attitude of being a jerk – a conscious decision to be rude. What we're really talking about is a person who is unhappy. And because they are unhappy they want everyone around them to be unhappy too. So they spread their meanness around like manure and stink up the joint in the process. Just like the bumper sticker says ‘Mean People Suck’.

Now let me stop right here, get off my high horse and honestly admit that I’m a very flawed person. There is no doubt that I’ve been arrogant, mean and dished out spin. So quit rolling your eyes at me okay, you’re beginning to bother me. They are other things that bother me as well but I’ll stop my rant right here. What’s interesting is that when I was younger these things really didn’t bother me. Perhaps it was because I was “one of them”, an arrogant, mean-spirited spin doctor? That’s one theory; maybe it was because I simply never noticed. Could I have been so self absorbed with all that was going on in my life that I never paid attention? That’s possible too. But what I really think happened is that I simply ignored these things. You know an ‘Ignorance is Bliss’ kind of thing. Now as I get older I don’t have the patience to ignore them like I used to. I thought as you got older you were supposed to develop more patience. I find myself being challenged more and more by these kind of things. The issue is how do I react when I encounter these types of people and behaviour. What's the old saying "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it". I believe that to be true.

You’re probably wondering ‘Gee Ron, who peed in your cereal bowl this morning?” Actually no one did…..today. About a month ago I had an interesting experience on a plane ride home from Missouri that really got to me. Since that time I haven’t been able to get it out of my head. I am going to try something a bit different here and put up a two part post about that experience and the lessons I learned from it. I’ll try to put the first post out sometime this weekend and the other early next week. You might be surprised by what happens, I know I certainly was. In the meantime, leave me a comment and let me know 'What Bothers You' as well (as long as it’s not me). I'll be interested in hearing what you have to say...

6 Comments:

At Fri Sep 24, 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Ry said...

I fully agree with you on all these points. I already have ZERO patience with people like you've described. If you're saying it gets worse with age, then you'll probably find me living in a shack in the woods ten years from now.

Last night I was having dinner with some friends and one of the girls brought her new coworker along. This lady was one of Those People who has to one-up you on every single conversation topic. Then she starts bragging about her stupid yuppie possessions (plasma tv, SUV, blah blah blah) for half the dinner. I was staring at the table trying to not visibly roll my eyes at her the entire time. Then she starts in with the politics, which is always a brilliant move when you don't know who you're talking to (not surprisingly, she had totally opposite opinions from ever other person at the table).

A few other examples of Those Who Bug the Piss Out of Me: the people who work on the other side of the building and can't be bothered to return a "hello" when I pass them in the hallway, the moron who doesn't know how to flush the toilet in the bathroom, and anyone who is talking on a cell phone while simultaneously trying to place an order at the counter in any fast food restaurant.

 
At Fri Sep 24, 06:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing!! While I was reading your Blog, Ron, I was thinking that if you and Ryan ever got together on this subject it could become a marathon discussion. And, who should I find with the first comment??? Yup!! Can't wait for further installments. By the way, I'm bugged most by blow-hards who spend so much time trying to impress you with how great they are (and you know it's all Bull) and manipulators who use others strictly for their own gain. I'm not fooled by either one, but they sure do bug me. LOL GLDD

 
At Fri Sep 24, 08:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also hate rudeness and arrogance when I see people pushing their weight around. I push my weight around but I have to and I am really nice about it. I firmly believe what goes around comes around.

There is NO reason to ream out the waitress when you are mad at the meal.

The service clerk did NOT make the clothes that you are returning.

I also dislike folks that drive dangerously. You can piss away your own life , but I don't want to go with you.

I also despise the phone automated service that leaves you with 22 options. I have to jot down the number that I think I may want as by the time the list ends, I have forgotten what the heck I wanted.
BTW, Ron, I always thought you were really shy as a young( studly) boy. Were you really just being snobby to me???

Jeesh, PMS......
Cousin Aunt Julie

 
At Fri Sep 24, 10:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you people have already covered everyone I can think of. Jeez, I really have alot of family who get pissed off about stuff. I do agree with alot of it, but I find I don't get as mad at people as I used to, it's just not worth it. Talk to everyone later. Auntie Gail

 
At Sat Sep 25, 12:36:00 AM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Ryan - Your comments are classic. I just felt my blood pressure rising as I read what you said, those things bother me as well. It sounds like you've had a lot of experience in this area. From now on I'll take notes on this subject from you - that was great.

Julie - I wasn't being snobby. I was just intimidated by the 'girls from the other side of the river'. I heard they were 'fast'. wink.

Gail - I've always known that you're the even tempered one of the clan. The 'don't piss me off' gene must of skipped a generation and went directly to Ryan.

Lana - I get bothered by a bunch of stuff by Cousin Ry has this down to an art form. I think he's done far more research and investigation on the subject than I have.

 
At Mon Sep 27, 05:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh yes.. a discussion on the wonderful world of jerks, liars, sneaks, cheats, snobs, users, abusers, wannabes, never-were's, narcissists, blowhards, egomaniacs and selfish, self-righteous aristocrats. Sounds like the music business to me!! One person that comes to mind when I think of 'What Bugs Me' is someone I had the, ahem, "pleasure" to work with in my last group, LR. "JB" (and I know you ALL know who I'm talking about), was the embodiment of all of these qualities, and maybe more. He used me and abused me (verbally) until I couldn't take it anymore and quit. He is now without a band and struggling to make it in Nashville with Kim by his side. Hopefully someday the poor girl will realize what a real piece of fecal matter he is... Just goes to show you.. don't piss off Karma, she's a real bitch!
Less Than Three,
Uncle Keith (wandering minstrel, vagabond, couch surfer... etc...)

PS: I'm toying with the idea of starting my own blog.. any opinions? Would y'all (yes, I'm from Iowa...) visit? Let me know what you think... and feel free to email me.. thekidkt@aol.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home