Sunday, November 21, 2004

Thanksgiving!

It’s nearly Thanksgiving again; hard to believe it’s almost here. I have to tell you that Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday of the year. I like it more than Christmas, New Years and Independence Day, any of them. I even like Thanksgiving better than my birthday! I guess I just like the whole premise of Thanksgiving. I like the idea that we as a nation set aside an entire day (during the week I might add) to stop and simply give thanks. I know that on many previous Thanksgiving’s I looked at it as “just another holiday” or long weekend. I missed the point no doubt. I used to think it was about eating a bunch of turkey, watching football and taking the mother of all power naps. Now all these things are cool and make Thanksgiving fun and I don’t intend to give any of them up in the near future (i.e. the power nap). But they are not the point of Thanksgiving. The point of Thanksgiving is to stop and “Give Thanks”, hence the name Thanksgiving. I know what you’re thinking; thank you for pointing that out Captain Obvious. But sometimes I think we miss the forest through the trees when it comes to Thanksgiving. I think we sometimes do forget to stop and Give Thanks. At least I know I have. Oh sure, I may say something Thanksgiving-ish during the prayer before the meal. But I don’t stop and really Give Thanks for all that I have in my life. I just kind of blow through the day without thinking about what it really means. So with that thought in mind I have decided to stop and think about what I am thankful for. Kathy, Kiel and Katlin have also listed some of the things they are Thankful for. Here are just a few of the things (in no particular order) that we are thankful for.

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for...
God’s Grace and Mercy – it is beyond my comprehension.
Jesus – I can’t imagine the kind of Love that led you to do what you did for me.
Love – It covers a multitude of sins you know?
Tylonel PM - Can't imagne sleeping without it.
My Life – I can’t imagine it being anything but what it is.
Kathy – How wonderful is she? I don’t think I’ll ever truly know.
Kiel & Katlin – Two distinct personalities, two distinct kinds of Love.
Our Dog K.C. – I miss her.
My Parents – Unique to say the least.
In-Laws (all of them) – I appreciate and love ALL of them more than they know.
Food – If you haven’t noticed, I like to eat. Especially Italian Food - it rocks.
My Health – Breathing and Walking are not always a simple as they used to be but I’m still doing both.
Sleeping in a KING sized bed.
Friends – What’s the old saying; they are the ‘family’ we get to choose. I made good choices. Football – It’s no coincidence that the NFL plays on Sunday, it's The Lord’s Day.
A noisy house and a quite house - obviously not at the same time.
Humor - Being able to laugh at yourself and make others laugh is a gift.
Saliva (not the band) – without it your mouth would be dry all the time and how bad would that suck?
All that I have been given - I don’t understand how I can be given as much as I have.
Church – It is very cool to be a part of something much larger than myself.
Oreos – Only the greatest cookie ever made.
Electricity – Almost all other inventions from the 20th century depend on it. Try going with out it for a week of so.
Indoor Plumbing – Even though we live in redneck country our plumbing is indoors.
Toilet Paper – Enough said.
My Job – I feel blessed to be able to get paid to do what I enjoy.
Beer – One with a piece of pizza or on a hot day after mowing the yard is incredible.
Manny’s Pizza – The world’s thinnest and greasiest pizza. Oh Baby it's awesome!
Learning – I have so much yet to learn and so little time.
Being Comfortable in my own skin – I am who I am.
What I have learned in difficult times.
Apple Desserts – Apple Pies, Apple Dumplings, Apple Fritters and Apple Cobbler all come directly from heaven.
The Bible – What a book! If you don't believe me, read a version called “The Message”. Something new is revealed to me every time I read it.
Stories – I love stories!
Underwear - think about it...
Air Conditioning - Florida without it? Yeah Right.

Katlin is thankful for...
God
Drs. for when you get stung by bees
Centrum Silver for Iron deficiences
X-Box
Music
My family
Sportscenter
Remote Controls for the TV and fireplace
Ficus Trees
Hot Pockets, Ramen Noodles and Pop Tarts
IBC Root Beer
Lucha Libre i.e. Mexican Wrestling
My family again
Pencil Sharpeners
Water Pik for my teeth but I'm not thankful for my braces
Oh yeah, our new house
Vanilla Air Fresheners
Real Southern BBQ, not stupid, notheren Sloppy Joes called BBQ - Imposters!
Chicago
Moes Burritto Bar - 'Welcome to Moes!"
Ron Artest for being a EXCELLENT role model

Kathy is thankful for...
My family
Ron - after 21 years patience, love and understanding
Kiel & Katlin - the two best boys a mom could have.
God - couldn't live life without Him.
Friends - Past, present and future
Sunshine, birds singing and screened in porches
Jacuzzi Bathtubs with very little bubbles.
M&M
Pepsi
Shrimp
Prime Rib
Cooking on Thanksgiving Day
My In-Laws
My Dad
My Mom & Mike
Brother Dave, Sharon and Family - 'Even Though they are far away, they are in my heart to stay".
Brother Keith and him fullfilling his dreams
Subway Sandwhichs - Toasted Subs
Our New House - Cause it only has our dirt in it.
Memories - As we have packed and unpacked we have re-discovered the treasures we have saved.
Blessings
Not working on Saturdays
Breakfast on Saturdays at the NEW Waffle House - Whoo Hoo

Kiel is thankful for....
God
Family
Girls
Friends
Parents
Sleeping in a Queen Sized Bed
Nutter Butters
School
Opportunites
Did I say Girls?
Church
Pillows
My Car
For Penguins, they are the only thing that keep me sane.
Caffine
Poker
Just to be safe....Girls

Like I said, it’s just a few of the things we are Thankful for. It’s not inclusive by any means, so I know we have left plenty off. Feel free to let me know what you think we missed or what you are thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving.

5 Comments:

At Tue Nov 23, 07:22:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Tue Nov 23, 07:26:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Kiel, you and your brother have the uncanny ability to keep me in STITCHES everytime I read your posts! Yes, you did mention girls (and I'm very glad that my nephew is following in my footsteps!). Katlin-- ficus trees? As for Ron Artest being a good role model... perhaps you need glasses AND braces? I, myself, am very thankful that my family includes the four of you, as you have all delivered wonderfully seperate and unique things into my life.
Ron, thank you for opening my eyes and helping me see just what I was missing by not accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior.
Kathy, thanks for being the best sister I could ask for and for letting me unload some of my burdens on you when I really needed to. You are one of a kind.
Kiel, thanks for having such a great sense of humor and keeping me laughing all the time.
Kat, thanks for turning me on to some of the best music I've heard in a long, long time. Who knew Christian punk could be so cool?!? Oh, this year the Relient K Christmas Album will be cranked on 11 as I decorate!
Hope you all have a wonderful holiday!
PS: Enjoy your nap, Ron.. you've earned it!

 
At Wed Nov 24, 08:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the crap???? Did no one list "cousins"????? Happy Thanksgiving anyway........LOL
We will be in St.Louis by this evening, weather and God permitting.
Have a good time, and remember to take that bag of innards out of the turkey before you cook it. Personal experience on that one.
Plus don't turn the burner on under the pumpkin pie that is cooling on top of the stove.
Hugs and mashed potato kisses,
Cousin Aunt Julie

 
At Wed Nov 24, 09:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. Somehow, Ron, I knew Oreos would be on your list. Kathy, no surprises to me on your list (Love you). Kiel...penguins?? Explain to me! Katlin, Centrum Silver....that's for old folks like me. Need your explanation, too.

Will read again tomorrow on Thanksgiving as I'll be missing you and jealous (I admit)that Warren and Jean and Butch and Rosemary get to spend yet another holiday with you all that I don't. But I am very thankful that you have family with you. Have a wonderful day. XOXO GLDD

 
At Wed Nov 24, 09:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. Somehow, Ron, I knew Oreos would be on your list. Kathy, no surprises to me on your list (Love you). Kiel...penguins?? Explain to me! Katlin, Centrum Silver....that's for old folks like me. Need your explanation, too.

Will read again tomorrow on Thanksgiving as I'll be missing you and jealous (I admit)that Warren and Jean and Butch and Rosemary get to spend yet another holiday with you all that I don't. But I am very thankful that you have family with you. Have a wonderful day. XOXO GLDD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home