Friday, December 10, 2004

Bad Advice

I always get a bit nervous when someone tells me “Let me give you a piece of advice…” I almost want to turn and run when I hear those words. Maybe it’s because when I usually hear those words the advice that follows is usually ends up being petty bad. I say this to ask all of you this question: What is the worst piece of advice you have ever received? Not the worst advice you've given or the best you received, we’ll save that for another time. But what is the worst advice someone has given you. What is something that someone told you on good faith that you believed, tried and found that it was absolute rubbish? What is the thing that you tried because someone said it would work only to find that you could have went your whole life without doing it?

I’ve been thinking about it and I know what mine is. Many years ago a well meaning friend said that when it comes to church and my relationship God that I needed to “Fake it til you Make it”. Now I’ve heard that phrase quite a bit through the years (as I’m sure you have) but I never thought about applying it to church or my relationship with God. I did as she suggested. Big Mistake. Huge Mistake. Worst Mistake Ever. The problem I found was that if you try to fake your relationship at church or with God you will never make it. I thought by putting on a smile, wearing my good clothes on Sunday, saying the right things, attending when I should that I would some day “Make It”. Guess what? I never did. I found out that you can’t fake a relationship with God. It’s either real or it’s fake. And if it’s fake it will ultimately be exposed. Now, I don’t blame my friend for the advice she gave me. It was all she knew, the concept of being “Real” with God was completely foreign to her. I blame myself for wanting a quick fix instead of wanting to invest time in relationship with God. Faking it til you make it may work in some situations but not with God. I became so frustrated and disappointed in myself, church and God - that I almost gave up. I wasted a lot time time trying the fake it til you make it advice. Let Me Give You a Piece of Advice…..Don't try it.

Ok...I showed you mine, so now it’s your turn to show me yours. What’s the worst piece of advice you have ever received? I’m curious to hear how you were led astray.....

1 Comments:

At Tue Dec 14, 05:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't lead astray...too smart for that. (Sometimes) Worst piece of advice, though, was....don't marry him, he's much too young for you (from my mom, 1970). She could still be right...we've only been married 34 years, so who knows? GLDD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home