Friday, February 04, 2005

The View

There is this really beautiful place that I drive by on my way home from work every night. It’s a small piece of land that sits right on the bay. It’s located in a relativity undeveloped part of the county on Deer Point Dam road. There are rows of trees that sit between the road and the bay which block the view of the water. But at this particular spot the trees stop and begin right after it ends. So when you’re driving you see trees then all of the sudden it opens up and there is this beautiful view on the water. However, as suddenly it begins, it ends because the trees come back into sight and once again block the view of the bay. The unobstructed view of the bay last only a few seconds. But what a few seconds they can be.

I can’t tell you how much I look forward to passing by this spot every night on my way home. This time of year has the sun setting on my drive home. So about the time that I get to this location, the sunset is at its peak. By themselves the colors of the sky and wispiness clouds are beautiful. But what makes this place so magnificent is the water. The reflection of the colors of the sunset and water work together in a way I’ve never seen before. Sometimes it’s hard to tell where the sky ends and the water starts, they just melt together. Then there are the shadows from the trees and contours of the land that come into play. They help frame it and put it all into perspective. It kind of like jig saw puzzle. By themselves the pieces are interesting but you can’t make too much out of them. But put them together and you’ve got a masterpiece.

You could miss this place if you didn’t pay attention and I’m sure many folks have. You could easily drive by and have no idea of what you just missed. What I like about this place is what it does to me. It doesn’t matter what kind of day I’ve had or what's on my mind at the time. Catching a glimpse of this spot soothes my soul. In those few moments I am reminded of how fortunate I am. These "reminders" just sort of flash through my mind like you often see in the movies. To me, this place is like a secret. Sometimes I feel like no one else knows it’s there but me. It’s almost like God is telling me “Okay, Ron – just between me and you, here’s what I made for you today.” (I’m sure he doesn’t say that but its how I feel). I often feel like He’s made this beautiful painting that speaks just to me and all I have to do is look for it and enjoy it. It’s like I’m getting this wonderful gift each and every day. And perhaps I am. Maybe God knows that I need these few seconds to be reminded that He’s there and that I’m on His mind. I'd like to think that. I'd like to think that He cares enough for me to remind me that regardless of my circumstance that it's going to alright because He's cares and He's in control. But then again maybe I’m not exactly sure what it means but I do know how it makes me feel.

2 Comments:

At Tue Feb 08, 02:32:00 AM, Blogger Keith said...

I understand exactly how you feel, Ron. When I was growing up, I saw the Mississippi River everyday. It was in my backyard (literally) quite a few times. I even had to swim half of it once! But in all that time, I never really appreciated it's beauty. I mean, I knew it was pretty, but I never FULLY appreciated the fact that my Father made me something THAT beautiful and allowed me to look at it everyday. When I return home now after a long road trip, the first thing I do is stand in the backyard and stare out at the water, soaking up the beauty. Many times I pray that we as a people won't get so wrapped up in development that those kinds of views "dry up" as it were. Somehow I don't think that He'll let that happen. God Bless!

 
At Tue Feb 08, 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Keith - I can relate to appreciating the view you have at your house. I always enjoy sitting at your dinig room table and looking out over ther river. It's awesome. But when you have it all the time it's easy to take it for granted. Kind of like us and the beach. We don't go to, visit or appreciate the beach as much as we should or like because we are so busy. But I know when ever I go I enjoy it and realize how beautiful it is. Anyhow, I look forward to seeing the view from your house when we come home this summer. I'm also glad that you guys will be here in a couple of weeks. Take care and I'll see you soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home