Saturday, June 25, 2005

Life's Too Short To Drink Cheap Beer

I had a huge limb down in my yard this morning. I had to go over to Dad's and borrow his chainsaw to cut it up just to put it in the bed of my truck. I got that done and then had to pick Kat up from a meeting a work. On the way home I was thinking about what I was going to do with the rest of my morning since Kathy was working til noon and then she was going to go get a pedicure and manicure. I decided that since I was already hot and sweaty from clearing the limb, I might as well cut the grass. I normally like to cut the grass in the middle of the week but since we're leaving on vacation Wednesday and I had the time, I figured I might as well do it now. I also like to have a beer after I finish working on the yard. There's just something about being hot and sweaty and drinking a beer (or two) that I enjoy. So I decided I needed to stop by the mini mart a buy a beer to drink once I had finished working on the yard.

As we were driving up Hwy 77 towards our house Kat found a Christian CD that we had been looking for. He put it in and we both started singing to it quiet heartily. As we got near the mini mart this conversation ensued.

Me: "Sorry, but I got to stop singing about Jesus so I can go buy a beer."
Kat: "Ok, cool."
Me: "Do you think he'll mind?"
Kat: "Nahh, you guys are good."
Me: "I've got two bucks on me, so I'll have about 27 cents left - Do you need anything?"
Kat: "Naw, I'm Okay."

I pull into the mini mart, go buy a beer and come back to the truck. Thinking I got a great deal, I proudly show Kat a 32 ounce bottle of Natural Light.

Me: "I believe I bought this based on quantity, not quality. All the 'good' beers were over 2 dollars or were smaller."
Kat: "Wow - that's a lot cheap beer!"
Me: "What?"
Kat: "Yeah, that's some serious redneck beer you got there Dad!"
Me: "Well...it was only a $1.60 and I did get 32 ounces!"
Kat: "Shoot - bottled water is more expensive than that! You know you're drinking cheap beer when water's more expsenive. That's very rednecky dad!"
Me: "What do you mean!"
Kat: "I mean those huge bottles of Natural Light are the kind you see rednecks drinking after they've been four wheeling or hunting racoons. Those bottles are all over the side of the road!"
Me: "Oh..." (slightly embarrassed)
Kat: (realizing that I'm slightly embarrassed) "Maybe it won't be that bad..."
Me: (sensing hope) "Yeah...Maybe if I get really, really hot working in the yard and I get the beer really, really cold I won't notice it's cheap beer."
Kat: "Uhh...sure dad...don't get you're hopes up".

I didn't get my hopes up and it was pretty bad...but it was really, really cold. A beer slushie.

4 Comments:

At Mon Jun 27, 02:45:00 PM, Blogger rob said...

Dude...you live in SOUTHPORT. There is something in the atmosphere up there that draws you, unconsciously toward Natural Light beer. I think they actually feed it into the water system there (which explains many, many things really)
A quart of Natural Light, grass clippings still hanging on your legs, and before you know it, a car on blocks in yer' front yard.

Resistance is futile.
Southport WILL assimilate you.

 
At Mon Jun 27, 08:07:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Rob...Natural Light in the water system? That explains why I kept getting these notices in the mail telling me the water is unsafe to drink. You may call it 'a car on blocks in your front yard' but we like to refer to it as a lawn ornament. We don't put gnomes in our front yards like you suburbanites do - we use the little fella's for target practice. I guess I just have to admit that subconsciously that I'm probably being assimilated to Southport. Oh well...gotta go, need to buy some new white rubber shrimping boots and then I need to go beat my wife - it's just how we pass the time in the country. Talk to you later and remember to "Git-R-Done for Jesus".

 
At Tue Jun 28, 06:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what Mike always says...if it's cold and it's free, it's good beer. You came pretty close!!! GLDD

 
At Wed Jun 29, 02:26:00 PM, Blogger Will said...

If I only had $2.00 to buy beer, I would have stopped at the ATM, paid the $1.00 or whatever to have the extra money to at least buy some Bud Light. You should have gotten yourself a "40" of Colt 44 and saved yourself a buck, cheap-o, or borrowed some money from the kid...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home