Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Where Did I Put My.....

This past Friday night we were at my parents and were discussing how forgetful we have become as we have gotten older. I told them that earlier that day I had went home for lunch to make a sandwich. I explained that I got in the refrigerator and got out all the stuff to make my sandwich. I started to make my sandwich and was going to put butter on it but couldn’t find it. I looked on the kitchen counter but I didn’t see it, but I remembered taking it out of the fridge. I went back to the refrigerator and looked again – still no butter. I searched the entire house for about 10 minutes looking for the stupid butter container. I even checked in the bathroom. Why? I don’t know. I went back in the kitchen and went to open the fridge and there it was. It was sitting on top of the fridge just where I left it. I immediately remembered that I put it there because my hands became full getting the other items for my sandwich.

My dad then told of the time that we lived at Tyndall AFB and he went out to clean the windows of his truck. He said he took a roll of paper towels and a bottle of Windex from the kitchen and then went about his task. Later that day Kathy went to get something out the refrigerator. She was very surprised to see the bottle Windex that my dad had been using sitting in the fridge next to the milk. For some reason he put in the fridge when he was finished. Dad’s story reminded me of the time that I recently went to throw something away in the trash. I opened the lid of the garbage can and there sitting on the top trash can were my wallet and keys. Instead of placing them on the counter, I threw them away. Why? Because I’m getting old.

But the best episode of forgetfulness goes to my mom. My mom likes to play bingo. When my mom plays bingo it is no small affair. She will start playing earlier in the afternoon and go until the wee hours of the morning. Less than a year ago my mom went on one her bingo binges. About three o’clock in the morning the phone rings. I don’t know about you but whenever my phone rings in the middle of the night I immediately think the worst. I answered the phone and it was my mom. I could tell by her voice that she seemed a bit shaken. She asked if we had been by the bingo hall with dad to get the truck and I told her no. She went on to explain how her truck was missing and had been ‘stolen’. I told her to hold tight and that I would be right there. I hung up the phone and told Kathy what was going on while I got dressed. I got in my truck and drove about 15 minutes to the bingo hall. As I pulled into the parking lot, I began looking for my mother. As I did, I saw a large vehicle flashing its lights at me. I stopped my truck and this vehicle started coming towards me. It pulled up next to me and I soon realized that it was my mom in her truck. I was a bit puzzled by what was happening. We rolled the windows down and she told me what happened. She said that the bingo hall was fuller than usual that evening and she wasn’t able to park in her normal spot. She had to park further away than normal in a very poorly lit part of the parking lot. When she came out she looked in her normal spot and didn’t see the truck. She also couldn't see the truck in the dark area of the parking lot where she had parked it. So basically she forgot where she had parked her truck. Good one huh? We haven't let her live that one down yet. Getting old is no fun, the forgetfulness is right up with all these new aches and pains I keep discovering every day. Oh well it could be worse....

5 Comments:

At Wed Jun 22, 10:35:00 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

Oh my, I am glad that it is such a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG time until I'm that age. I just have blonde moments, even though I'm not a blonde.
Have a good day,
Ami

 
At Wed Jun 22, 06:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron the other morning your Dad went to the gas station on 389 and 390 to get his morning cup of coffee. I was talking with my new "friend" Sonny the cashier and I saw your Dad with this full freshly brewed pot of coffee and he was throwing it down the sink. Dad likes the French Vanilla Coffee Mates and he was getting his cup ready to pour the coffee into but he put all the creamers in the freshly brewed pot of coffee. Hehe!!!!

Mom

 
At Wed Jun 22, 06:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. I can hardly wait until I am as old as my sister and Butch. Life should be lively when the 3 of us are together. We'll lose each other in a crowd of 3.
Love, Aunt Francie

 
At Fri Jun 24, 08:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, if you only kneew what you have to look forward to....but I don't want to "spoil" it for you. Last week I lost three $20 bills. Two days (nights) later, Mike found one under his foot in our bed at 2:00 in the morning. I found the other two the next day...between the sheets at the bottom of our bed!!! Can you imagine how they got there??? I'll explain when you get here. (: GLDD

 
At Fri Jun 24, 06:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is for Grandma Lana Ding Dong, I want to hear more !!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home