Thursday, June 02, 2005

Twenty

I’ve never seen a lightning storm like it – not before or since. This wasn’t your typical electrical storm. No flashes of lightning just long bolts that looked liked a spider’s web when they lit up the evening sky. What made this storm unique were the frequency of the bolts and the duration of the storm. The long strands of lightning would run from one end of the sky to the other. And as soon as one bolt finished running across the sky, another one would begin. This light show lasted for many hours – it didn’t just pass through but it lingered so all who saw it knew something special was in the works.

And that’s how I felt; to me this wasn’t just an electrical storm, it was a sign. A sign that something so incredible had just occurred that even nature couldn’t contain itself. And something incredible did just happen; my first child had just been born. I’ve always felt that the storm was a sign from God and that he was celebrating my child’s birth with me. You probably think I’m crazy when I say that but I don’t care. I don’t believe in coincidence – I just don’t. I don’t believe this storm just happened right after my son was born. To me it was more than that – this night was special. It was a night unlike any other night. It was night that has since become party of our family folklore.

We were in the Air Force and we’re stationed at Scott AFB in Illinois. Scott is located about 30 miles of St. Louis, Missouri. We had just moved to Scott about a month before and didn’t know anyone except for my new boss. My new boss’s wife was pregnant as well. Both his wife and Kathy were ready to deliver at any time. Actually both of them were past their expected due dates. Being guys, (which often means not being very bright) we decided to take these two overly pregnant women to dinner. Not only dinner but to eat spicy Mexican food. As soon as we sat at our table my wife told our sever “Give me a Margarita cause I’m gonna have this baby tonight”. I was kind of surprised because my wife hadn’t drank during her entire pregnancy. But before I could say anything she looked at me and I saw the look in her eyes that said ‘Don’t question me on this’. And I didn’t. She was right and the Margarita worked. We went home after dinner and soon thereafter she went into labor. Eighteen hours of labor later at 6:28PM on June, 2nd 1985 – Kiel Warren Cravatta was born. (That’s right - exactly 20 years ago today).

The birth went without any problems but the labor had been long and tiring. Afterwards Kathy was very tired and very hungry. Actually Kathy was starving. So much so that she asked me to go get her something to eat. Now when she asked this I initially thought she meant from a vending machine or from the hospital cafeteria. I was mistaken she meant for me to drive into town and get her something. She was actually more specific and said she wanted a roast beef sandwich from Arby’s. When she said this and I just put on a generic smile. The nearest Arby’s was 20 miles away and I could hear the beginning rumbles of thunder outside the hospital room. I thought to myself that “This woman’s lucky she had just given birth to my child or I would tell her what to do with her Arby’s roast beef sandwich.”

Being a fairly obedient husband I obliged her request. I went to the car and began my 20 mile journey for her sandwich. As I left the Air Force Base the storm began. I drove the 20 miles in awe and wonder – thinking about the birth of my son and thinking about the incredible storm I was in the midst of. I pulled into Arby’s and I was a mess – I had never cried because I was happy before. I gathered my composure made my way into Arby’s and it was packed out. It seemed that everyone had pulled over where ever they could to escape the storm. I stood in line for what seemed like eternity. I finally got Kathy’s food and left. The storm was now much worse than before – the rain was now coming down in sheets, the kind where you can’t see when you’re driving. I inched my way back to the base and hospital. I was now soaked to the bone. As I entered my wife’s hospital room, I was quite proud of myself for braving the elements and fulfilling my wife’s request.

I went to speak but I couldn’t. For the first time since his birth, I saw my wife and son together. My wife looked up from trying to nurse our son and said “Hi Daddy.” I stood in the doorway and swallowed the lump in my throat. I walked over and handed my wife her sandwich. Unconsciously she took her sandwich from the wrapper. She took one bite of it and said…”Ugghh…I’m not hungry anymore.” She then threw the sandwich, wrapper and bag in the trash can next to her bed! I stood there in total disbelief - I couldn’t believe she just did that. I wanted to get mad but I couldn’t. Kathy apologized and then said the most profound thing she has ever said. She grabbed my hand and said "Let’s just enjoy and love our son.” And that’s what we’ve been doing ever since.

Happy 20th Birthday Kiel! We Love You!

3 Comments:

At Thu Jun 02, 09:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost hate to desecrate your story by leaving a comment...but you have described so well the feelings and experiences of loving, caring parents. God bless you guys, as you continue on this journey, and as your son moves on...

 
At Thu Jun 02, 09:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What more can I say, Ron has said it all. What a wonderful night it was we truly believe that god was having a huge celebration and we got to watch it in so many ways. Today as I thought about 20 years ago and the joy I felt that day and from then on the joy Kiel has given to us. Then I comeback to work after lunch and there were flowers there for me, from Kiel thanking me for the past 20 years. And the tears began to flow,how will I ever be able to let him go. .......Kathy

 
At Fri Jun 03, 03:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron, that was wonderful. I hope you made a hard copy for Kiel. Not many sons get to know their father's feelings when they were born. It's important!!!

Kathy, I know your pain and joy...to have raised such a wonderful child and then have to let him (her) go to his (her) destiny. It was hard for me to let you go, too. But God only lets us tend to the children for a short time (way...way too short) and,though we know they have to leave to live their own lives, it hurts so much. (Not to make light of things, but...Waterproof Mascara is a must for the next few months) (: GLDD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home