Thursday, July 28, 2005

No Shortcuts!

I can't tell you how much my computer users disappoint me at times. Just when I think we're making progress, BAM they do something stupid. I installed a new server and started moving data files from the old server over to the new one this week. I let my users know that the data had been moved and that they would need to recreate any 'shortcuts' that pointed to files on the old server. It was very depressing for me to find out that several of my users didn't know how to create a shortcut. I was saddened to see how many users copied files from the server to their machine thinking it was a shortcut. They had placed a copy of a the file from the server on their Desktop and were working on it thinking they were working on the server. Then after they were done they told others they had made changes to the file. Well when others went to look at it on the server the changes were no where to be found. That's because they hadn't been made on the server - only on their computer.

Due to a comedy of errors, it took me most of yesterday afternoon and this morning to figure out what they had done. I even woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking about it! Note to any future computer types: Never believe computer users - they lie. I thought something was 'wrong' with the server or sharing privileges I had set up. Come to find out, there was no 'real' problem. Well I guess there was a problem, some people forgot to pull their heads out of their butts and couldn't see what they were doing. But what was really funny was how upset these people were that the 'new server sucked' and 'wasn't working properly'. They even talked about it in the morning production meeting and how I needed to get the server fixed because we were unable to schedule boat production. A couple were even were calling for me to move the files back to the old server just so we could schedule boats. "Fix it over the weekend" they said - Yeah right. Needless to say they were quite embarrassed when I showed them what they had done wrong. They also didn't like having to explain what the real problem was. Sorry to rant just needed to vent - but it really got to me today. Guess I need to work on my patience (as always). Have a good evening and the weekend is almost here!

5 Comments:

At Thu Jul 28, 08:19:00 PM, Blogger Will said...

Hang in there! The weekend is nearly here!

 
At Fri Jul 29, 12:04:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Aunt Francie - thanks for reminding me about my impending birthday. I'm sure if you wouldn't have mentioned it, I would have forgotten all about it. Thnaks for the reminder.

 
At Sat Jul 30, 05:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because you can operate (use) the computer doesn't mean you REALLY know what you're doing. Take me for instance. Aren't you glad you don't have to work with me? GLDD

 
At Mon Aug 01, 07:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Muuundayssss...(yes I know it was a Thursday)(Office Space quote) Anyways, you should take that movie out to cheer yourself up on days on like those!

 
At Tue Aug 02, 08:59:00 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Ronnie,
I know exactly how you feel. I go through that at work and at home with mother as she has mentioned. Whenever I hear the fateful words out of her mouth, 'I think something is wrong with my computer,' I know that it will be a several hours fix...It has gotten better since there are not so many people using it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home