Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Printers Daughter


I read a story earlier today that has really stuck with me. It was during the time Martin Luther was having the Bible printed in Germany. The printer who was printing the Bible for him, had a daughter. This girl knew nothing about God except fear. One day she was cleaning up her fathers shop and she found fallen pieces of Scripture on the floor. On the paper she picked up it said "For God so loved the world, that he gave.....". The rest of the Scripture had not yet been printed. But it didn't have to be - this was enough. The idea that God would give her anything moved her from fear to joy. Over the next few days her mother noticed a change in her. She asked her daughter what had caused this new found happiness. The daughter showed her mother the piece of paper with the partial scripture on it. Her mother read it and asked her daughter "What did he give?" The daughter thought for a moment and then said "I don't know but if He loved us enough to give us anything we should not be afraid of him."

I love the heart that the printers daughter had. The idea that God, the creator of the universe would give to us is simply amazing. The one who hung the stars in the sky and created all that we see and know - gave to us. And not just "anything". He gave us the very best he had - he gave us His son. The thought that he would give us "anything" blows my mind. The thought that he gave us His son blows me away. I hope and pray that for the rest of my time on this earth that I can have a heart like the printers daughter. I simply want to live a life that is grateful for anything that my God is willing to give me. I want the idea of anything from God to be enough.

Oh yes...the picture. Last February I wrote a post called "The View". In this post I described a place that I drive by on my way home every evening after work. This view is one of the things that I feel God has given me each and every day. After being asked by a few of you, I have finally gotten around to taking a picture of it. Actually, Kiel took the picture when he was home at Christmas. Anyhow, hopefully you'll get a glimpse of what I was talking about when I wrote that post. Hope all is well and everyone is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home