Wednesday, May 11, 2005

He's Ready

I'm unsure if it's the end of an era or a new beginning. Perhaps it both. All I know is that I can sense change. I can feel it in every ounce of my being. I can hear it in his voice. I can see it in his eyes. I see it when I look in the mirror. He sense's it too and there's nothing we can do about it, except ride it out. This change is inevitable. But that's okay, things are meant to change. There is a natural order of things. There's a progression to life that can't and must not be stopped. Seeds become flowers. Caterpillars become butterflies. Puppies become old dogs. And children become adults…and leave home. It's all part of the way things are meant to be.

But it feels different than I thought it would. It feels strange. Not bad, not upsetting - just strange. But he's ready to go, he knows it's time. Sometimes I feel like he's too ready to leave. His new life is calling him and he is ready to knock down the door to greet it. And I can't blame him. It's part of his nature, it's built into him. He's been hardwired for this adventure since his birth. He's anxious, eager and confident. He's ready. But then there are the times when he let's his guard down just long enough for me to catch a glimpse of his insecurities. I can tell he wants to be free but he's not quite sure what he'll do with his new freedom. He wants to be independent but he's afraid of being alone. He wants to make his own decisions but he fears making mistakes. He's anxious to make a new start, in a new place with new friends but he longs for the old places and familiar faces. I see it…when he lets me. Sometimes I think he shows me just so I can reassure him that he's going to be fine. But he's ready...am I?

2 Comments:

At Wed May 11, 07:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are about to go through one of the hardest parts of being a parent. When your first child leaves home for the first time. It's different than sending him to pre-school or kindergarten or camp. This time he's really on his own and you won't know for days or weeks at a time how he's doing, who he's with, what he's eating, etc. It will be hard to adjust to but you have no other choice. You've raised him to be a FINE man and he'll be okay. And.....I know that he knows, if he ever needs you for anything, you'll be there for him. He's ready for this (although maybe just a little scared). It will take a while longer for you and Kathy to adapt. I do know this from personal experience....putting Kathy on the train to send her to California to you!!! XOXO GLDD

 
At Wed May 11, 09:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I know that he is ready, but am I. I just want to enjoy the next few months that we have with him here. I just need alot of tissues, keep us in your prayers. Luv K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home