Monday, September 27, 2004

Meat Sweats

Sunday after church we went to lunch at the Olive Garden. Kiel said he was very hungry so he decided to order a side of meatballs with his entree. Kiel is notorious for ordering a lot of food and then not eating hardly any of it. We told Kiel that the side of meatballs was an additional $1.95 and that if he didn’t eat them he would be very sorry. He assured us that it wouldn’t be a problem and he could easily eat them. We all ate our salad and breadsticks and then our meals came. They gave Kiel his meal and side of meatballs. Let me say this before I move on. I honestly believe that my mother (Rose Mary) makes the best meatballs in the world, they are incredible. Because of this I can’t order spaghetti and meatballs when I go out to a restaurant. I’m spoiled. Kiel must have had his grandmother’s meatballs on his mind when he ordered these things. However, what he got was something from another meatball dimension. These were not his grandma’s meatballs.

These ‘things’ were gray and hard and dry and filled with specks similar to sawdust. Did I mention they were gray? They weren’t natural. No one said anything at first. I think we all wanted to see if Kiel had the courage to actually eat one of these things. Kiel smiled as if he knew what we were thinking. He looked at the meatballs and then at us and said “No Problem”. We’ll see. After swallowing several bites of his meatball he stopped and said “These things aren’t meatballs, they're meat wads.” Disgusting I know but he was right, they weren't meatballs. Even though these things were nasty I couldn’t help but remind him that he said that he would eat them and that this wouldn’t be a problem. “I know, I know – I’ll eat them don’t worry” he said. Now it was getting fun. I must say in some demented way, I enjoyed watching him struggle with these gray lumps of mass. He couldn’t quite figure out how to attack them. He tried small bites. He tried taking a drink with them. He tried adding sauce. He tried adding some pasta with them. Nothing worked. That is until he got ill. At first I thought he was faking like he used to do when he was little. When the sweat started to accumulate sweat on his brow and his face went pale, I knew he had enough. He excused himself and went to the rest room ‘to get rid of these awful things’. (I’m not exactly sure you want to know how he did that) After purging himself of this evil, he returned and kind of slumped over in the booth until the rest of us finished eating. Being the sympathetic group we are, we started teasing him.

We told him that he had fallen victim to the ‘Meat Sweats’. You ever have them? It is where you either eat bad meat or you consume way too much meat and you have a reaction. You feel extremely bloated, miserable, uncomfortable and you sweat profusely, hence the name ‘Meat Sweats’. I must confess that I am the one who normally gets the Meat Sweats. I usually eat too much steak or sausage and spend the remainder of the evening recovering from this awful condition. This happened when we went to Chicago this past summer and met our friends Kery and Brenda. We ate dinner with them in Chicago and I got the Meat Sweats. Kery asked what that was and I explained it to him. From that point on he kind of modified the name of this disease. Whenever he looked at me for the rest of the evening Kery would say in a thick Chicago accent “Ronnie’s got the Beef Sweats”. Not exactly the same thing but I got the point. By the way, Katlin does a dead on impression of Kery saying this – it’s incredibly funny.

As is the case with the Meat Sweats, time is you friend. Sooner or later this condition will ‘pass’ if you know what I mean. If you ever find yourself with the Meat Sweats don’t drink a lot of water. You’ll be tempted to but it will only make matters worse. If you do you’ll feel more bloated and sweat worse. Just be patient and let nature takes its course. Getting back to Kiel for a moment, he never did finish his meatballs or his pasta for that matter. He went home, rested and felt better several hours later. I wasn’t too upset though. For a $1.95 it was great entertainment.

9 Comments:

At Tue Sep 28, 11:54:00 AM, Blogger Ry said...

I feel Kiel's pain...

One night when I was little the family was out at J&D Steakhouse. Each meal came with a potato and a side dish, which could be either salad, coleslaw, or Jell-O®. Being that until recently I could never bring myself to eat "rabbit food," I would always get the Jell-O (ground-up horse hooves?! YES PLEASE!).

Anyone who has ever eaten with me knows what a slow eater I am. This can be attributed to the fact that no matter how much begging and pleading I did with the parents during my formative years, they refused to have my gargantuan tonsils extracted for me. Not even as a birthday present! (It's a wonder that child protective services never whisked Brent and I away to a safehouse.) But I digress. Because of these Tonsils, I have about a 2 millimeter wide opening to my esophagas, and hence, 3 hour long dinners as I have to swallow each meal atom by atom.

So everyone is waiting on me to finish supper, and all that is left is the blasted Jell-O (which did NOT cost extra, BTW). But the rule was still that you had to eat your entire dinner BECAUSE THEY SAID SO. I'm sitting there, my poor little belly already full, and I'm trying to force Jell-O down my throat as the rest of the family stares impatiently at me. I start gagging. Not becuase the Jell-O is gross, but because the slimy stuff is being backed up in my throat by my mutant tonsils. As I jammed each spoonful into my mouth, a full-body heave would welcome it. And they just sat there, the parents rolling their eyes, and Brent laughing the whole time.

To this day, every.single.time that someone in the family sees Jell-O, the harrassment beings again and I'm teased and humiliated until I have to run crying from the room.

For the record, I now get salads whenever I'm at that restaurant.

 
At Tue Sep 28, 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

LOL...Ry's got the Jell-O Sweats - that sounds very, very slippery. What's up with your parents and the tonsils? Your a parents dream asking to have them removed. Leaving them in consitutes abuse in my opinion. I don't see how you ever made it out alive. LOL...Good to hear from you....Ron

 
At Tue Sep 28, 05:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang you are MEAN.....I remember sitting at the kitchen table with a huge lump in my throat waiting to hurl up the disgusting liver and onions that my mom made me eat. It was ever so much tastier when it got cold and slimy. No wonder our generation has the feeling we have to clean our plates and our expanding pants show it. We were told that the "fat" on the meat was good for us. The mental and physical damage our parents caused,,,,,jeesh......

RYRY,
I cannot believe your mom didn't just remove the tonsils herself! At least you got to go to J & D , the fancy restaurant, and all I got to go to was Mr. Quick's.

Ron,
I personally get the Popcorn Sweats and I think Cousin Aunt Kathy gets them also....correct me if I am wrong.

Cousin Aunt Julie

 
At Tue Sep 28, 05:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF???? HAHA POPCORN SWEATS??? that's the most wierdest sweats ever... oh well about the meat sweats... what made it really interesting was that they actually tasted better the 2nd time (if ya know what I mean) seriously.. they were that gross...

 
At Tue Sep 28, 08:46:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Cousin Aunt Julie what are popcorn sweats I must have not been there?????? Kathy

 
At Tue Sep 28, 10:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really remember it that way, Ryan didn't have to eat it, we were just waiting for him. And he never had trouble with his tonsils and they won't take them out just because of the size, but I do hear about it all the time, that that is the reason he eats so slowly. I'm just a terrible mom. So sorry you are so scarred Ryan. Auntie Gail

 
At Thu Sep 30, 09:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew!!!! I gagged just reading that. My poor grandson. RULE #1: If the meat is gray...make them take it away. RULE #2: If your dad is laughing at what you're about to eat...make him eat some first! RULE #3: ONLY eat Gramma Rose's meatballs. (Got that Kiel?)

And Ry...the consistancy of Jello should easily slide between your tonsils. My problem is just getting it even that far. It's so gross I can't get it past my tongue!

But, the worst thing I ever ate was creamed turnips (I think it was at my grandma Schlotfeldt's house.) Got sick after two bites. Now, if I see a turnip it's deja vu all over again. (-:

 
At Thu Sep 30, 10:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if it's grey take it away... hmm does that apply to all foods? what about women...haha jk... thanks for the advice thought.. and lets not even get started on dads worst nightmare.. TOMATOES !!! wait.. or even GOULASH !! ACK !!

 
At Fri Oct 01, 02:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Keil....I don't remember women being listed as part of any "food" group....BUT "Older Women Make Beautiful Lovers" (look it up, it's a Country Western song). :-) GLDD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home