Friday, March 18, 2005

The Cobbler's Kid

Getting a hair cut around my house isn’t as easy as one would think. Actually it can be quite difficult. I feel kind of like the cobbler’s kids who were always in need of new shoes. It always seems like I’m always in need of a haircut. You wouldn’t think that would you? Given the fact that my wife is a professionally trained hair stylist. Anyway, every time I need a haircut, Kathy and I have this little exercise that we seem to go through. Here’s a sample of what it’s like.

Ron: “I sure do need a haircut.”
Kathy: “Well, just come in to the shop and I’ll give you one.”
Ron: “But why can’t you just do here at the house?”
Kathy:Because, I don’t like cut hair at the house. It’s just easier for me to do at the shop. I like the separation between work and home. Besides if I start cutting hair at the house, everyone will think they can get it cut at the house too. You don’t want everyone coming over in the evenings for haircuts do you?”
Ron: “But no one needs to know. It will be our little secret.”
Kathy: “Nope.”
Ron: “But you used to.”
Kathy:Yeah….that was before I was working and had no where else to cut it.”
Ron: “But I’m your husband”
Kathy: “So?”
Ron: “Don’t I deserve some type of ‘special treatment’?”
Kathy:Wouldn’t not having to pay for a haircut for the last 20 years be considered ‘special treatment’?”
Ron: “Well I may not pay in money but it’s costing me a life time.”
Kathy:What did you say?”
Ron: “Nothing…it’s just that I don’t like having to come in the shop like everyone else”
Kathy:Like everyone else? Why? Do you think you’re special?”
Ron: “No, not in that way but I am your husband. You should be able to cut my hair whenever I want you to.”
Kathy:Whenever you want? What do think this is…Haircuts on Demand? Let me tell you something mister. I’m not your personal hair stylist. I’m your wife who just happens to cut hair. I wasn’t put here on earth just to cut your hair. It’s this simple; if you want your hair cut you will come into the shop like everyone else and I’ll cut it there! If you don’t like it then you can go somewhere else! You got that?"
Ron: “But, I…”
Kathy:I’m serious – It wouldn’t bother me if I ever cut your hair again. You’re actually my worst customer. You always act like a baby. You’re constantly moving and you’re always complaining about something once you get in ‘my chair’. Go somewhere else, see if I care. Besides you’re a lousy tipper!”

Long pause where Ron contemplates his options...

Ron: “So when do you want me to come in?”
Kathy:Tomorrow night at 6:00 and don’t be late, cause you’re taking me out to dinner afterwards .”
Ron: “Crap”

14 Comments:

At Fri Mar 18, 05:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way Ron is in need of a haircut today, wonder if he will get one!!!!! K

 
At Sat Mar 19, 08:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl, keep that man in line. Why is it they always think they are so "special" . Love the blogs keep them up. Auntie Gail

 
At Sat Mar 19, 09:11:00 AM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Yes I need a hair cut. Making this post on the blog was my subtle way of 'reminding' my wife that I needed one.

And Yes I am 'special'....at least that's what they told me so I could ride on the short bus to school.

 
At Sat Mar 19, 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Keith said...

LOL! Thank you for the much needed laugh,Ron. Sorry my sister is so difficult sometimes, but she does have a point.. lol! Hope you got your hair cut (and work on the tipping.. roses usually work nicely!)

 
At Sat Mar 19, 03:57:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

I'm sorry Keith but could you please remind me again what you 'tipped' your sister after she gave you your haircut while you were down here? I believe the answer would be NOTHING.

And contrary to what you might think, the answer is not "FISH".

 
At Sun Mar 20, 04:05:00 PM, Blogger rob said...

hmmm. I have a slot open for counseling, if you need it. But you have to come to my office...

 
At Sun Mar 20, 04:41:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

I believe we're way beyond counseling. I've just come to accept the fact that we're the type of family that puts the 'fun' is dysfunctional.

 
At Mon Mar 21, 07:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how did the haircut turn out??? Always remember....never make your hair stylist angry. She (he) can get a lot of revenge with those scissors!!! GLDD

 
At Mon Mar 21, 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Still waiting to get a haircut. I'd go to Cost Cutters if I thought I could get away with it (kidding).

 
At Mon Mar 21, 07:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ron,
Dad and I got haircuts this morning. I saw when we were having coffee this morning you still needed one.
Love Mom

 
At Tue Mar 22, 05:24:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

Still no haircut, I'm beginning to look like cousin "It".

 
At Thu Mar 24, 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

In case anyone is wondering, I still haven't got a haircut...

 
At Tue Mar 29, 08:27:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

My hair is now down to my butt. In a couple more days I'll be walking on it.

 
At Fri Apr 01, 08:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is April 1, and Ron finally got a Haircut!!!! Really no kidding and it wasn't an April fools joke. And no Dale no cutting hair in my new house!!!! Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home