Thursday, March 10, 2005

What Ya' Wearin?

I wrote this a couple of months ago but have been putting off posting it until the time was right. I heard that someone caught the dickens for what he's thinking about or is going to wear to a certain function. After hearing about this incident, I decided the time was right.

I have noticed something interesting since we changed churches a year and half ago. Our new church is very casual in its dress. You can pretty much wear what you want as long as it’s not offensive (obviously). During the summer I usually wear shorts, shirt and sandals, remember it’s a beach church. In the winter I usually wear jeans, shirt and tennis shoes. Gone are the days of wearing dress shirts, ties, dress pants and suit coats. You could wear this if you wanted but I rarely see anyone dressed up. Now the casual dress is nice but it’s not the reason we go to this church. I will dedicate another post to that subject at another time.

We usually go out to eat after church. Since we go to early church we are usually some of the first people at the restaurant when it opens. So when the other churches in town let out we are usually seated and our eating our meals. It’s interesting to watch folks who have just gotten out of church and see us already eating in what appear to be non-church clothes. What’s even more interesting is when we encounter folks who we used to go to church with. They don’t know too much about where we go to church now, so they really look us over. I find their reactions very interesting. Their eyes search you up and down. They fidget and wonder to themselves about our attire. It’s almost like you can hear what they are thinking: “Didn’t those heathens go to church?” “There is no way that they wore that to church?” “I went to church today, why couldn’t they?”

You’re probably thinking that I’m over reacting....I really don’t think so. I believe I know how the “other half lived” well enough to say this, I know how they think and view these kinds of issues. I was part of their inner circle for many years. The reason I believe that this is the reaction occurs is because that used to be my reaction. When I dressed in my “Sunday Best” and would encounter someone already eating in their jeans or shorts I would think to myself “How sad that they couldn’t get out of bed and get dressed up and go to church like me. I’m so glad that’s not me. Those poor sinners, I’ll pray that they don’t choke on their eggs benedict.” Now I realize that is a pretty sad and embarrassing confession to make but unfortunately it’s true. I make no claims to be anything but a shallow work in progress. What’s really bad is that I now find myself swinging to the other end of the pendulum. When I encounter someone dressed up in their suit and tie on Sunday’s and they stare at me, I think “You stuffy person, you have no idea who I am and what I believe. There is no way you could relate to the worship experience I just had, so quit looking at me like I stole something.” Again, I don’t think is the proper response either.

I firmly believe that what you wear to church is not important as the heart and attitude that you bring to worship. If you want to dress up and wear your Sunday best then you should, I really don’t have a problem with it. I did it for many years but given the option I would rather go casual and comfortable. But I also need to remember that keeping the proper attitude inside and outside of the church is what is important - not judging someone by what they wear or don't wear to church or a church function. Whether a person’s dress is casual or a bit more formal it doesn’t really matter. What really matters is remembering that the person I encounter means just as much to God as I do and I need to treat them that way. I am reminded of….

1 Samuel 16: 7 “….For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

Ouch.....but I'm still going to wear my shorts and jeans.

5 Comments:

At Sat Mar 12, 05:29:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Very nice, Ron! Makes me think of the Marty Robbins song "The Cowboy in the Continental Suit". Tells the story of a cowboy who tamed an "untamable" bull wearing an expensive "continental" suit.

My favorite line: "The moral of this story/never judge by what they wear/underneath some ragged clothes could be a millionaire/listen all you people/don't be fooled by this galute/this sure-enough bronc buster in a continental suit."

Heck, Adam & Eve were NAKED ::gasp!:: and the Lord still cared about them. It's all a matter of personal taste.. just as long as your heart and mind are present!

Thanks for lifting my days with your awesome words of enlightenment. God Bless!!

 
At Sat Mar 12, 06:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wha???? Don't you know that dressing up is a sign of your RESPECT FOR GOD!!
Well, that's what some people (used to be me) think anyway. It's funny how we get into certain mindsets.
I will confirm the dirty looks...just try going to the grocery store Sunday a.m. in your "casual best". One time I happened to be in an actual dress (gasp) and I found myself standing a little taller as I walked through the grocery store. Sheesh, how shallow can I get?
It's hard to undo the effects of being religious...

 
At Sun Mar 13, 05:02:00 PM, Blogger rob said...

Ok...I'll admit to being the one who "caught the dickens". For one thing, no one ever told me how mean those things are, and how hard they bite. If someone ever asks me to go out and catch a dickens again, I'll say "@#$*! YOU!" and walk away.

I hate those things.

 
At Sun Mar 13, 09:22:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

LOL about 'catching the dickens', I hope I never catch them. Sounds painful.

 
At Sun Mar 13, 09:22:00 PM, Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home