Sunday, September 25, 2005

"I Don't Like Him..."

WARNING: The following is a somewhat disjointed post after a long day of intresting spirtiual experinces. After reading it I realized it is somewhat hard to follow but so was my day....Ron

Ever have one of those days where you realize that you're in the middle of something but you're not quite sure what you're in the middle of? By that I mean, events happen and at the time they seem unreleated but at the end of the day you realize in some weird way that they were all linked together in some weird comsic way? If you've never had that happen then you probably don't understand what I'm talking about. If you do then...well you understand. Anyhow, that's how our (Kathy and my) day went. And it was pretty cool. Frankly, I attribute it to God and that He has a plan and the 'weird' things that happened were all part of that plan. You can agree or not but that's what I believe.

I'll spare you the details, if you weren't there it would be hard to understand what happened and would sound boring. But I will say that the timing of todays events were so surgical that a few seconds either way and we wouldn't have experinced what we did. And because of that I know that God's hands were all over it. One of the unexpected things that happened today was that we ended up baby sitting for some friends. He is deployed to New Orleans and she is staying home with their 3 year old son and adopted dogs. They adopted about 5 dogs that evacutaed from Hurricane Katrina. Anyhow we saw here after church and she looked wore out. I mean she was beat up and exhausted. We asked if we could do anything and she asked if we could watch her son for a few hours while she went to a play with a friend. We said no problem.

The little guy came over at about two this afternoon. For those of you who know me, you know that I'm not a very talented guy. But...I can play with a three year kid like a trained professional. There is probably nothing I enjoy more than playing with small children. (Go ahead and say your jokes and get them out of your system). Well this little dude brought a mini nerf gun with him and that's all we played with for three hours (besides wrestling). I had so much fun. And that's probably because it brought back memories of playing on the floor for hours with my boys. Ever time I looked into this little boys eyes, I saw my sons when they were that age. It was really cool to roll around on the floor playing all afternoon.

Anyhow the little guy loved me (not bragging, just a fact). About four this afternoon, Kat got home from work. From the beginning the little guy didn't care for Kat - which suprised me. He came running to me, made the sourest face I ever saw, pointed to Kat and said "I Don't Like Him!" The way he said was hilarous. To some degree Kat was hurt because he hadn't done anything and just wanted to play with the little dude. After keeping an eye and his distance from Kat for about an hour he realized he was okay. By the time he left, you would of thought he'd known Kat all his life. He warmed up to him and was all over him.

At one point Kat asked me "Don't you ever get tired of playing with him?" and I responed and said "No, I never got tired of playing with you". Kat said "Really?" and I told him "Yeah because playing with a child doesn't last forever. Either they'll get tired and stop or they'll no longer be a child, so you have to play with them when you can." Kat looked at me and smiled as if he actually understood what I was saying. He just said "Cool". Which is good enough for me.

2 Comments:

At Mon Sep 26, 09:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course he loved you, Ron! You're just about his age (: I do hope he didn't go home with too many bruises (or a cut foot or something). Truly, though, your post gave me my "warm, fuzzy" for the day. Thanx for sharing. GLDD

 
At Mon Sep 26, 12:08:00 PM, Blogger rob said...

Ron, I believe when the list of the world's most important talents gets revealed, the ability to play for hours on the floor with a three year old will hold one of the highest positions.

You're cool man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home