Sunday, November 06, 2005

Weekend Update

We just got back from visiting Kiel in Orlando a couple of hours ago. What a trip and weekend it was. The entire drive home I thought of what I was going to write but I didn't come up with much. Not that a lot didn't happen cause it did. Actually the opposite is true. So much good stuff happened I'm just not sure I can do it justice. To say we had great weekend visiting Kiel would be a serious understatement.

We left real early Friday morning (4:00AM) and got to Orlando around 11:00AM. We met Kiel at his apartment. Keep in mind this is the first time we have been back to Orlando or his apartment since we dropped him off in August. He said he had cleaned his apartment but we debated him on that point. (Sorry Kiel - had to "bust your balls" one last time). After giving Kiel a hard time about the cleanliness of his apartment and some hygiene issues, we decided to go get something to eat. Kiel took us to one his new favorites "The Pita Pit" - a build your own Pita sandwich place. It was pretty good. After that we decide to go shopping for a bit. Kiel needed some new clothes since his room mates ink pen exploded in the dryer and got all over his clothes. So after shopping for a few hours Kiel took us to our hotel room. Since it was Family weekend and Homecoming weekend all the hotels near campus we full. Kiel was able to get us a room at the Marriott near the airport all the while taking advantage of his employee discount. Kiel and Katlin went back to Kiel's apartment from some 'brother time' while Kathy and I checked out the hotel and got ready for dinner.

The boys came and picked Kathy and I up for dinner. Kiel had made arrangements for us to have dinner at the restaurant where he works. Kiel works at a restaurant called "Primo" and it is located in the J.W. Marriott Grand Lakes Resort. I want to try describe this dinner experience without expounding on the truth or bragging - but I don't know if I can. The resort where Kiel works can only be described as incredible. It's not the type of place that I am accustomed to visiting or staying at - it is very beautiful and very, very expensive.

Primo is an amazing restaurant. Everything is organically grown on the grounds of the hotel. So everything and I do mean everything is fresh and natural. That's very important to understand cause if you don't you can miss the full impact of this place. Let me stop here and say this. I am not an expert on food nor do I claim to be. However, over the years I have traveled on business and pleasure a fair amount and been to my fair share of "nice" restaurants. If you would have asked me before this evening if I knew what "Fine Dining" was I would have laughed at you and told you Yes. I can only say I thought I knew what Fine Dining was - this experience would set a new standard in dining that I didn't know existed.

Kiel introduced us to his friends and co-workers at Primo. Most notablely was Kiel's boss and Primo's Matre De - Eddie. Eddie was the person who hired Kiel and has taken him under his wing so to speak. Eddie also made sure that our dinner on this evening would be nothing short of perfect. Eddie and the entire staff went to great lengths to make this one of the most memorable - if not the most memorable meal we've ever had as a family. I simply don't think anything could have any better than what it was.

I would descibe to you what we ate but I'm not sure I know. But here's what I can tell you for sure. I tasted the best olive oil I have ever had - from Tunisa I believe Kiel said. We all tried Caviar for the first time - different. We ordered a couple of appetizer - but since Kiel worked there the Chef of duty pulled out all the stops. Besides the appetizer we ordered they brought out a couple others for us to try. By the time our entrees arrived we had eaten half the stuff on the menu. We were like kids in a candy store. It was fun. Have you ever had one of those experiences where everything was just right? By that I mean you're with the right people, in the right place and eveything works together perfectly. This was that type of evening.

Anyhow Kiel and Eddie gave us the best dining experience at a restaurant we've ever had. The meal was fabulous and the service was impeccable. Kiel is very fortunate to be working with a great group of people and in such amazing environment. Can't wait to go back again sometime. After dinner we went to a late movie - dinner took 2 1/2 hours. Went and saw "Jarhead" - it was a very different movie. If you've ever been in the military you could relate otherwise I'm not sure you would get it. Got home late and we crashed.

On Saturday we shopping again. Kat wanted to go to the "Guitar Center" which is a music store and buy some stuff for his drums. He was in heaven and didn't want to leave. Kat parted with much of his hard earned money and bought a bunch of cool drum stuff. Kiel then took us to a very upscale mall where we hung out for a few hours. We ate dinner at the Cheesecake Factory - and it was okay. During dinner we decided to go to the UCF Homecoming football game at the Citrus Bowl. We made it to the game and got there at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. The game was fun and UCF won and is elegible for a college bowl game. We enjoyed watching all the drunk kids and cheering for UCF - it was alot of fun. We got back to the hotel around 9:30PM - the boys went back to Kiel's apt. for some video games and late night Hot Wings. This morning we met the boys at Kiels and then got something to eat at the California Pizza Kitchen before heading back home.

The entire weekend was great. Kiel is a great host - who went to great lengths to ensure we were comfortable and content. Thanks for all you did Kiel - it was great. Anyhow it was a blast and I can't wait til we go down and seem him again. But back to work tomorrow. I leave Wednesday for Atlanta for a few days. I have two days of meetings to go to and will be back sometime early Friday evening (6ish). I'm not looking forward to it but I am well rested from this weekend so I should be able to get through it. I'm sure I've bored you enough but I wanted to get this posted. Hope everyone is well and I'll post more later....

5 Comments:

At Mon Nov 07, 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Will said...

Sounds like you had a very nice time! If Kiel is half the host his parents and grandparents are, I'm sure everything was just great!

 
At Mon Nov 07, 07:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Glad you had such a great time. Kiel must be a very special employee for them to have treated you so well...and I'm sure he is. I also second Will's comment! GLDD

 
At Tue Nov 08, 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Wow! Sounds like everything really was perfect. Hopefully I'll get a chance to come to Orlando for a visit sometime. Would love to see Primo. We just got a Cheesecake Factory here in NashVegas.. ain't it great?!? Check y'all later!

Keith

PS: Hey Kat.. drop me an email and brag about what new toys you bought. Isn't GC awesome?

 
At Tue Nov 08, 09:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for the comments, the weekend was awsome, getting to see my boy was the best though. I had two people tell me that Kiel is awsome!!! But I already knew that. Even though I miss him terrible, seeing him in his new enviroment is neat.You raise them and then let them go:( K

 
At Wed Nov 09, 09:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetheart, letting go is the hardest part of all. MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home